Program 2 is designed to be one year’s work in a typical classroom setting where one Unit is completed each week. The standard is for Grade 4 level or the average student aged about 9 years. The program is written in plain English.
Program 2 has the same style of exercise as Program 1 which gives students confidence when attempting Activities. Similar Activities are marginally more difficult than Program 1.
The program should ensure that students who complete Program 2 will have basic functional literacy and have developed independent learning skills to allow them to complete higher levels of the program with minimal assistance.
The content; and the and knowledge and skills taught are:
- The 50 ‘Must Know´ listed at the start of Unit 2, include the 15 Program 1 ‘Must Know’ words. They form about 75% of writing at this level are learning these are essential to success in writing and reading.
- Most basic phonemes and digraphs are covered – focussing on more complex long vowel sounds.
- Syllables receive more attention.
- The concept of Parts of Speech is introduced.
- At a higher level of difficulty previous skill are developed such as dictionary skills, blends, homophones, synonyms, antonyms, doubled consonants, contractions, prefixes and suffixes, dictionary skills, plurals, nouns, verbs are taught.
- New skills and knowledge introduced include editing writing, proper nouns, collective nouns, pronouns, verbs tenses, adverbs, adjectives, conjunctions and the schwa sound.
Word Building lists provide word relationships, extension, and vocabulary building.
All Activities require thinking – there is no ‘busy’ work in the program. The answers to about 80% of the Activities of each Unit are the List Words of the Unit which encourages students to persevere.
The teaching of concepts is required.
The online Activities are designed to challenge and engage students in a stimulating way.