Attaining Functional Literacy
Students who complete Programs 1 and 2, should be functionally literate.
They will have learned the skills to independently study and complete Programs 3, 4 and 5 with minimum assistance.
To work independently the skills learned are:
- Reading questions and instructions carefully to underline what is being asked.
- How to use dictionaries to study new words, clarify the spelling and meaning of old words, and how to build their vocabulary
- Know basic skills – phonemes (sounds), spelling skills, basic grammar.
- How to breakdown long words into syllables and sounds.
- Know the 50 most frequently used words in writing, as well as about 700 other basic words studied in Program 1 and 2.